Sunday 7 January 2018

142 changes hands

Now, if you've known me for long or read my blog posts, you'd know it's focused on South London. What you're now probably thinking...what made me travel all the way to North West London like Edgware? The 142 changeover? Yes and No.

Yes - because I was conveniently there and thus cannot resist.
No - business. I'm the CEO of a shop*.
Photobombed ADE40428 and PDL117 (not displaying Kingsbury Circle) side by side
Edgware Bus Station


As a route, the 142 has remained intact as far as history goes back (when the police took over bus services in 1934), and thus it's Watford Junction-Edgware section has also fairly been intact except for a reroute in Stanmore via 251 in 1993. Originally it went as far south as Kilburn Park, which was shortened to Colindale in 1970, and was extended to Brent Cross in 1976. Since then minor alterations such as double runs in Edgware Bus Station and service times alterations at Brent Cross Shopping Centre.
©LondonBuses72
6020, now a trainer at Norwood (N) as DLA622, in Brent Cross. The original allocation bought for the route in 2003.
Edgware (EW) had the route until 1986 (other garages were involved but allocations of those garages kept changing) when London & Country took over. Would it be more familiar if I said Arriva? Or is Garston (GR) more familiar? Arriva's run on the 142 was, from my point of view, had it's ups and downs. With single deckers being a common sight with double deckers being a common sight on single decker routes. I don't know about the service but towards the end of the contract, it seemed 'neglected' as with most other routes that change hand.
Already a hybrid stray
VH45106 (BD13OHZ) in Edgware, approaching Spring Villa Road.
The first change of this year saw RATP take 142 from Arriva from their Edgware base which is shared with Edgware (EW)....and I mean....Borehamwood (BT), hence the code, Borehamwood Travel. Whilst I was out and about, the service didn't seem generally bad at all, in fact, I spotted no bunchings and I was in the area for more than 2 hours. It helps they have routes like 292 and 258 which parallel 142.

Whilst I was in the area, I decided to take photos of the 288 and 303 as both change over to RATP as well with brand new single deckers...but I also sampled the 305.
Early byes | Arriva London North PDL117 (LJ05GOP) | ADL Dart Pointer | 305 

In one of TfL's consultations, the 305 was proposed to be withdrawn and partially replaced by rerouting the 303, which made me interested to sample the route. However I only rode part of it's route.

From Edgware to Burnt Oak. It reminded me of the 355 in the sense 305 parallels different routes on different 'corridors', but maintains it's use by doing so. Unlike 355, 305 has a road to itself, Deans Lane, which on my journey saw a decent loading/unloading as you'd expect of a Saturday. Even though it was mostly old houses you see commonly everywhere in the part of North West, the different roads did provide a less "dreary", for lack of a better term, experience.

The route started on the 3rd of July 1993 as a replacement of 292 between Edgware and Burnt Oak allowing for 292 to take the direct route via 32. Though December that year it was diverted at Burnt Oak away from Colindale ASDA, to Kingsbury Circle via Princes Avenue. It started off with minibuses from Edgware (EW) and gradually progressed to dual door midibuses, by which point in 2006 Arriva took over from Garston (GR) with new SB120 Cadets. Arriva had it since.

However, like I said, the route will be withdrawn, towards the end of August.

DWL80 (YJ06LDK) at the Whitchurch Lane stop in Edgware
The 303 would be extended from Colindale ASDA via a currently width-restricted road linking to Stag Lane, then Princes Avenue as per current 305 to Kingsbury Circle, maintaining service on that section. The 303 would also be rerouted via Deans Lane and Mill Hill Broadway Station rather than the full length of Deansbrook Road, however the Deansbrook Road section between Orange Hill Road and Burnt Oak Broadway would still be served by 303.
DWL96 (YE06HNT) at the Whitchurch Lane stop in Edgware
I didn't really sample anything besides the 113, photos of 142/288/303, and 305.

Wait, I just mentioned 113....oh I forgot to elaborate on 113.

I visited the area in January 2017 and made a blog post about it.

I gloriously praise the 113 in that context with it's diesel Enviro400s.

However.

I don't think that anymore with the series hybrid Enviro400Hs.

Why?

Actions speak louder than words, my friend.

Simply put, that for two sets of 50-55 minutes straight. TEH1217 (as in the video) and TEH1221 (on return to home).

However, with it's anticipated cut to Baker Street from Oxford Circus and de-hybridisation, the E40Hs can feel rest assured that they would see better days back in Cricklewood (W). (2019 postscript, the route received B5LH EvoSeti's instead).

This post is practically short but let's say, a "warm up" for the year with different changes ahead, I hope you've enjoyed reading it and until the next one, stay safe.

ADE40418 (YX12FOA) at the Whitchurch Lane stop at 5PM
DE20165 (YX11GCK) at the Whitchurch Lane stop, Edgware
DW300 (LJ10CVG) in Edgware Bus Station
DWL81 (YE06HRA), Whitchurch Lane stop, Edgware
SW3 (LK16BYC) on stand in Edgware Bus Station
TE716 (LK56FHJ), Whitchurch Lane stop, Edgware
TE833 (LK57AXN), Burnt Oak Broadway
TEH1217 (LK61BJO), Marble Arch
TEH1224 (LK61BKD), Burnt Oak Broadway
VP552 (LK04CVP), Burnt Oak Broadway
VWH2171 (LK16DFJ), Burnt Oak Broadway
DN33641 (SN11BPX), Marble Arch
TE1100 (LK60AHL) being towed by the Sovereign truck behind, in Edgware Bus Station 

Rear of ADE40401 (YX12FNG) on 142 to Brent Cross if I remember correctly
Note: Usage of any photos on this blog isn't permitted where no name is present (meaning it's mine, ©Unorm), or an All Rights Reserved symbol © is present. If you desire to use a photo, you must contact the original author. In my case, you should contact my Flickr.
* If I was a CEO of a shop I'd be ashamed of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment